Holiday shopping is well under way, and NORDSTROM has created several gift guides to help you find the perfect gifts. Check out their Holiday Gifts page for recommendations for everyone on your list, as well as gift ideas from personalized to warm & cozy. You can also find all the information you need regarding holiday shipping, holiday benefits for fashion rewards and top pinned products!
We are all too aware of how curious cats like to be when something new arrives in their domain, such as a brightly colored Christmas tree or some decorations.
That can spell potential mishaps or even danger if you do not think about how to protect your cat from harm this Christmas.
Planning and common sense
You can certainly have a higher expectation of enjoying a happy and safe Christmas if you put a bit of extra planning and use some common sense when it comes to the decorations you use, bearing in mind that you are sharing your home with cats.
The last thing that you want is to hear the thundering sound of a loud crash while you are in the kitchen and your cat or kitten has attempted to climb the Christmas tree to reach something that has attracted their attention.
Make sure that the tree is nicely secure and unlikely to topple over by using a sturdy stand, probably with a water container for extra weight and maybe even secured using guy wires if you think it might be necessary.
Avoid using the chemicals that are available to keep your live Christmas tree fresh if possible as there is the possibility that your cat or kitten might decide to take a drink of water from the container.
You can get a wide range of different ornaments from a site like ChristmasOrnaments.com and the best advice for cat owners is to make sure that you put the non-breakable ornaments at the bottom of the tree.
If you have some highly-prized antique ornaments or simply some real personal favorites that you want to keep out of harm’s way, then make sure that you arrange them on the higher branches.
If you are really worried about curiosity getting the better of your cat when it comes to the ornaments on your tree, you could make some stuffed cotton ornaments for the bottom of the tree and maybe even make an extra special one for you cat, which they can have in the hope that they will then leave the tree alone completely.
Be wary of any wires used for lighting and make sure that they are protected from being chewed, especially if you have kittens in the house.
You can get plastic tubing from most hardware stores which will keep the wires and your cat safe from any harm.
Other dangers to consider
It is best not to use tinsel or metallic garland as tree decorations because cats have a tendency to eat it and that can lead them to suffer from internal blockages as a result.
It is also best not to leave your cat unattended in a room where you have decorations and certainly avoid leaving them in a room where there are candles burning, unless you are sure that they are not able to reach them and knock them over accidentally.
If you decorate your home and tree with the safety of your cat in mind then there is no reason why you will not have a happy, safe and enjoyable Christmas.
Susan Thomson is passionate about holiday decor. She enjoys writing about creative and practical design on holiday and decorating blogs.
The Fall Designer Sale is Here! Shop Barneys NY for Up to 40% Off Regular Prices On Select Clothing, Shoes & Accessories for Men, Women, and Children, As Well As Gifts for the Home.
Shop Now & Receive Complimentary Shipping On All U.S. Orders!
As Sarah Jessica Parker once told Vanity Fair,
“If you’re a nice person and you work hard, you get to go shopping at Barneys. It’s a decadent reward.”
ZADIG ET VOLTAIRE – Butterfly Print Long Sleeve Tee reg. $96, now $58
STEVEN ALAN – Check Print Shirt reg. $188, now $109
JOHN VARVATOS STAR U.S.A. – Barrett Wide Lace Boot reg. $268, now $169
MUNSTER KIDS – Geometric Skull Tee reg $52, now $31
- BARNEYS NEW YORK - Take an extra 30% off sale prices and an extra 50% off already reduced handbags through 12.3.
- BLOOMINGDALE’S- 25% off regular and sale items Monday only!
- ECHO DESIGN - Monday only! 30% off and free shipping on all orders. Gift the gift of warmth with pretty scarves, gloves, hats, and more. Also, check out their home goods, iPhone cases, and men’s cold weather shop.
- FOOTWEAR ETC - extra 20% off sitewide on Monday only.
- FRENCH CONNECTION - 30% off and free shipping on orders over $150. Use W13COUPON through 12.2.
- JCPENNEY - Extra 30% off purchases of $200 or more; 25% off $200 or more; 20% off any purchase of apparel, shoes, and accessories. Plus, extra 20% off fine jewelry and Bijoux Bar. Use “CYBERDLS” through 12.2. Try the Joe Fresh line and the Bijoux Bar for fun jewelry lines from Kenneth Jay Lane, Zoe & Syd, Kara Ross and Dominique Cohen.
- JENNIFER ZEUNER - 20% off sitewide with HOLIDAY20″ through 12.2.
- LES NOUVELLES - Up to 50% off fall/winter collections plus an extra 25% off with “CHARLIEBROWN” through 12.2.
- MODCLOTH - 20% off sitewide through 12.2.
- SPLENDID - 30% off sitewide through 12.2.
- VERA BRADLEY - Take an extra 20% off sale items from 12.1 to 12.3. Excludes the following Cyber Monday items which are on sale:
-Double Zip Backpack, $54.99
-Grand Tote, $34.99
-Carry It All Wristlet, $21.99
-All in One Wristlet, $19.99
- FORZIERI - Shop luxury gifts like accessories, jewelry, travel gifts and get 25% off sitewide on $250 or more. Use “CYBER25″ by midnight on 12.2.
- FRENCH CONNECTION - 30% off and free shipping on orders over $150. Use W13COUPON through 12.2.
- LAB SERIES FOR MEN - 25% off plus free shipping through 12.6.
- LACOSTE - 25% off almost everything plus free shipping and returns.
- ESTELLA - 25% off orders under $125 or 30% off orders over $125. No code necessary. Also, shop discounts on Liberty of London, Moncler, Bobo Choses, Bon Bon and more.
- HARTSTRINGS – Save up to 60% plus an extra 30% and get free shipping on orders of $50 or more. Use “12213″ through Monday.
- JCPENNEY - Extra 30% off purchases of $200 or more; 25% off $200 or more; 20% off any purchase of apparel, shoes, accessories. Use “CYBERDLS” through 12.2. We love the designer lines they carry like DreamPop from Cynthia Rowley, Baker by Ted Baker, Aden by Aden + Anais, giggleBABY, Flowers by Zoe and Joe fresh.
- OOPSY DAISY - 25% off everything through 12.2. Great room décor for the kiddos!
- STRIDE RITE - Select styles start at $14.95 on Monday only. Also, buy one, get one 50% off with “GET50″ through 12.2. Some exclusions include Crocs, Kamik, Medallion Collection and Clearance.
- THE LAND OF NOD – 15% off plus free shipping through 12.2. Use “SAVE15″ at checkout.
- TEA COLLECTION - Save up to 30% sitewide and get free shipping. Buy 1 item, get extra 15% off with CYBERTEA15; buy 3 items, get extra 20% off with CYBERTEA20; buy 6 items, get an extra 30% off with CYBERTEA30.
- WILD DILL - Take $10 off orders of $50 or more with HOLIDAY50, take $15 off orders of $100 or more with “HOLIDAY100, take $20 off orders of $150 or more with HOLIDAY150 through 12.10.
- BELLE & JUNE - Flash Designer Gift Sale- Save up to 45% off serving pieces.
- JCPENNEY - Extra 30% off purchases of $200 or more; 25% off $200 or more; 20% off any purchase of home. Plus, extra 10% off furniture, mattresses and custom blinds. Use “CYBERDLS” through 12.2.
- LULU & GEORGIA - 30% off with “THANKS30″ through 12.2.
- STARBUCKS - $25 off purchases of $60 or more and free shipping.
- TINY PRINTS - 30% off everything on Monday and Tuesday! Use CB13 at checkout.
- B-GLOWING - 20% off storewide with a purchase of $50 or more. Use “CYBRTWNTY” through 12.3.
- BEAUTY.com – get 25% off select brands through 12.4.
- BEAUTYSTOREDEPOT - Save 25% on all orders plus free shipping and a free gift. Use “SAVE25″ through 12.2.
- BLISSWORLD - Save up to 50% off select shapewear, shoes, skincare and more.
- JULEP - Save up to 80% on gifts and more through 12.2.
- L’OCCITANE - Free shipping on everything Monday!
-Get the Best of L’Occitane Collection with “BLACK” or Shea Pampering Treats with “PAMPER” for only $15 with a $45 purchase.
Buy 2, get 1 free stocking stuffers. Choose from Shea Butter Hugs & Kisses Set, Cedre & Orange Soap Trio, Fleur D’Or & Acacia Soap Trio plus more.
- NORDSTROM - Cyber Monday Beauty deals plus free shipping for Monday only!
- SEPHORA - free shipping on any order over $25! Also, free make up bag and 5 surprise samples with any $35 purchase
There are tons of sales and deals still going on this weekend. Pick up gifts for the guys too!
- ALTERNATIVE APPAREL - 25%off any order with “BLACKFRI” until 12.2.
- ANDREW MARC - Men’s leather styles are 30% off.
- DOCKERS - 30% off sitewide and free shipping on all orders with “CYBERTUES” through 12.3.
- DONALD J PLINER - 50% off select styles through 12.2.
- GOLFSMITH – Black Friday deals continue with 25% off apparel and shoes, savings on Garmin, golf balls, clubs and more.
- NAUTICA - 50% off all sweaters and outerwear through 12.3.
- LUCKY BRAND - Save 40% on sale denim and 30% on regular priced styles plus free shipping.
- MOOSEJAW - Saturday is the last day to shop the Anniversary Sale with 20% off almost everything. Also, get a free Moosejaw Gift Card with Purchase through 12.8.
- ORIGINAL PENGUIN - 40% off sitewide and free shipping.
- SCOOP NYC - Take 25% off plus free shipping all weekend!
- SKIS.com - Don’t miss the Black Friday Doorbusters (still going on) for all the ski gear you’ll need this season. Shop styles from Obermeyer, Solomon, Spyder and more. Also, get an extra 10% off sitewide.
- TIMBERLAND - Get 30% off sitewide with “GOBBLE2013″ through 12.1.
We’ve scoured some of our favorite house and gift sites for the best deals today and this weekend. We think you’ll agree, the deals are awesome and the goods are so pretty.
- BLURB - 30% off print books with SAVE30 through 11.30.
- BURKE DECOR - Super Sale! Take $15 off $50, $35 off $100, $75 off $200, $200 off $525, or $600 of $1500. Also, take an extra 25% off sale with “GOBBLE” at checkout.
- LAYLA GRAYCE - 20% off when you use “THANKFUL” until 12.3.
- LULU & GEORGIA - 30% off sitewide with “THANKS30″ through 12.2.
- SERENA & LILY - 20% off plus free shipping with “THANKS20″ through 12.2.
- ZINC DOOR - 20% off almost everything! Use “THXGIVING” through 12.3.
While there are a ton of great deals going on out there, it can be hard to figure out where to shop. Here are ten of the Black Friday Deals we thought you shouldn’t miss.
- 6PM.com - Save big on huge brands! Uggs on sale; Frye up to 70% off; Nine West up to 80% off; Dansko up to 70% off; New Balance $39.99 or less; Sperry Top Sider $59.99 or less; Outerwear for the whole family $59.99 or less; denim $29.99 or less; and outdoor footwear $39.99 or less! If you’re one of the first 20,000 shoppers, you an get an extra 10% off with “6PME1129121031″ at checkout.
- ANDREW MARC - Save up to 80% on their stylish outerwear! We like the Darla leather jacket and Misty down coat. Check out their men’s styles too!
- C. WONDER - Enjoy 30% off 3 or more items (full price or sale) and get free shipping on orders of $75 or more. You’ll find tons for yourself and really great gifts to give! Use “GIFT30″ through 12.1.
- ELLA MOSS - 30% off sitewide with “THANKFUL 2013″ through 12.1.
- ETTIKA - Save up to 70% on select items plus free shipping on orders over $40.
- JULEP - Shop $1 nail polishes on Black Friday only! Select from Black Friday catalog and use “BLACKFRIDAY” at checkout. Only one per customer.
- NORDSTROM - We ALWAYS love a good Nordstrom sale. Check out their Black Friday deals on favorite brands like Ugg, Michael Kors, The North Face, Tory Burch and more.
- PIPERLIME - Take 25% off sitewide and 40% off final sale with “GIFT” through 11.30. Shop shoes, clothing and accessories for women and shoes for men.
- SOUTH MOON UNDER - 25% off sale items and free shipping and returns all weekend!Or, get 20% off $150 or more in regular price items with HOLIDAY20″ at checkout.
- STELLA & DOT - Take 25% off sale styles through 12.1.
This Black Friday, Trina Turk has two amazing offers for shoppers. Save up to 60% a great selection of clothing through 12.1. And/or, you can take 25% off the Rosalind, Cagney, Marsha and Nola dresses with “BLACKDRESS” from 11.29 through 12.2.
If you’re in the market for a holiday party dress, take advantage of the 25% off deal. The Cagney Dress, Rosalind, Nola and Marsha dresses are ones that you’ll be able to wear to multiple types of parties.