On the way home from the gym this afternoon, I was listening to Detroit Public Radio and they had a special "Anti-Valentine's Day" program. People were calling in songs they thought fit for anti-Vday and would dedicate them to to others, first names only.
I am not gonna lie, I adore getting into holidays. I wear green on St.Patties, I dress up for Halloween-everything. Of course Valentine's day is superficial, getting people to spend money on each other for a frivolous reason and making those singletons out there refer to Vday as "Single awareness day". Honestly. Kyle and I almost never do much other than cave in and buy a heart-shaped pizza. However, I do love walking into stores in the dead of winter to see cute teddy bears lined up on the shelves and see pink, purple and red hearts all over everything. It's like walking into a super-girly wonderland and the kids are so cute picking out little boxes of cards for their friends.
I still got a kick out of the radio program though. After being in a relationship for 10 & 1/2 years, I have not experienced a break-up in a long time. But that does not mean that I cannot channel pent-up aggression twoards someone or a situation through an angry or heart-breaking song. And, well, some of them are just awesome. So here are my top-five Anti-Valentine's Day songs, enjoy!
1) Ben Fold's Five- Song for the dumped.
2) Ben Folds feat. Regina Spektor-You don't know me at all. What can I say? He is awesome at break-up songs. Also, the video featuring Tim & Eric is hilarious.
3) Rilo Kiley-Breakin' up. I am not sure if some kids made this as a fan video or what, but this has to be one of the funnest break-up songs.
4) Mumford & Sons-"Little Lion Man".
5)Wheatus-Teenage Dirtbag. The anthem for every nerdy, loveless teenager.
Okay, I lied, one more. I thought of this one last-minute and how could I not include Weezer?
6) Weezer-Perfect Situation. "Before there was Weezer, there was Weeze". Watch Elisha Cuthbert get kicked out of a band!